Does anyone else pay for custom butchered meat?

nohbody

Does anyone else pay for custom butchered meat?

Post by nohbody »

For about 4 years now i pay local farmers and butchers to raise and process my meats.

For the cow, I pay 3200.00. Thats to raise, feed, care, butcher w/ custom cuts, package, and deliver. I usually net about 440 pounds of beef. I keep about an 1/8th of it leaving the best cuts for myself, and part out the rest among family members and a small amount to my elderly neighbor.

For the hog, i pay about 750.00. it nets me about 140 pounds of pork. Again, i keep the better cuts for myself and give the rest out to family.

I pay more than grocery store prices, but at least i know where my meats are coming from, their diet, and, I get the cuts I want.

Does anyone else do it this way? And if so, how much do you pay for the handling and butchering?
cody

Re: Does anyone else pay for custom butchered meat?

Post by cody »

no but i see this as a good option we might do in the near future.

we eat home cooked food almost every night and i think it's worth it. when you are eating breakfast, lunch, dinner packed or from home you go through hella produce. plus, we are a no left over house - so it's fresh every night.

for about a year we did a reputable local farm subscripcription service that does grass fed/organic meats - but after a few months i noticed the meat quality declining and it was quite shocking as it's extremely respected in canada. so we canceled it.

when it comes to seafood, steak and speciality meats - we have our trusted butchers and fish mongers (the meat game is so intense - very hard to trust butchers)

we used to enjoy costco meat - but we've been put off of it recently and it's the last choice for us now.

there are some grocery stores here i trust if i need to pick up some meat on a whim.

it really depends.

but definitely don't trust meat from anywhere.
:mrgreen:
nohbody

Post by nohbody »

yea, I got a tenderloin from a place called Gordons and served it at a party and everyone got sick from it. Ever since then I have been going this route. So far, the meats have been amazing.

This year, Im going to get chickens in my back yard. I dont really process them for meat, I just eat the eggs. I have had chickens before, but not since moving to the new house.

And for seafood, I get my mahi, grouper, and shrimp from a cousin who works at a low volume distributer.
Aby

Post by Aby »

Man I got a wild ass uncle who buys a whole ass living goat

Takes that shit home and force feeds it vinegar to drown it and clean up its stomach PH or some shit

Then curries the goat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ass shaker
cody

Post by cody »

Aby wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:21 pm Man I got a wild ass uncle who buys a whole ass living goat

Takes that shit home and force feeds it vinegar to drown it and clean up its stomach PH or some shit

Then curries the goat

Lmfaoooo

this is wild
cody

Post by cody »

nohbody wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:12 pm yea, I got a tenderloin from a place called Gordons and served it at a party and everyone got sick from it. Ever since then I have been going this route. So far, the meats have been amazing.

This year, Im going to get chickens in my back yard. I dont really process them for meat, I just eat the eggs. I have had chickens before, but not since moving to the new house.

And for seafood, I get my mahi, grouper, and shrimp from a cousin who works at a low volume distributer.
we get all our eggs from a local farm co-op. the eggs are light shades of yellow, blue, green, brown, white with bright yellow yolks.

can't beat that. eggs are also something i am extremely picky about

i'm not sure if we are ready for our own chickens right now. they kind of gross me out and not sure i could keep up with their maintenance
Big Homey Urb

Post by Big Homey Urb »

Aby wrote:Man I got a wild ass uncle who buys a whole ass living goat

Then curries the goat

One of my best homies, which is Muslim, always posts a video of himself on Facebook slitting a goats throat - I can’t remember why he does it, all I know is his wife had that mf on the grill and it was hittin.

cody

Post by cody »

Big Homey Urb wrote:
Aby wrote:Man I got a wild ass uncle who buys a whole ass living goat

Then curries the goat

One of my best homies, which is Muslim, always posts a video of himself on Facebook slitting a goats throat - I can’t remember why he does it, all I know is his wife had that mf on the grill and it was hittin.

Lmaooo that’s the process of making the meat halal, to drain all the blood out before butchering it

Halal meat quality in general is always top tier. I put it alongside organic, grass fed etc because it’s usually all of that.
nohbody

Post by nohbody »

cody wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:28 pm
nohbody wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:12 pm yea, I got a tenderloin from a place called Gordons and served it at a party and everyone got sick from it. Ever since then I have been going this route. So far, the meats have been amazing.

we get all our eggs from a local farm co-op. the eggs are light shades of yellow, blue, green, brown, white with bright yellow yolks.

can't beat that. eggs are also something i am extremely picky about

i'm not sure if we are ready for our own chickens right now. they kind of gross me out and not sure i could keep up with their maintenance
there really is not much maintenance to them tbh. My old coupe had a gate that i set on a timer. At 6am it would open, and 6pm it would close. The chickens would free range all day cleaning all the bugs and crap out of my grass, and they always shuffled back into the coupe before the gate closed.

I fed most table scraps and egg shells back to them

It was free fertilizer for my yard lol

and really, i had to do was collect eggs, and clean out the wood chip bedding from their coupe every so often which just consisted of pulling out a trey, tossing it in a garbage bag, and laying in fresh bedding.
Sir Bustalot

Post by Sir Bustalot »

no, i rent and typically dont get a freezer other than the little one at the top of the fridge. Id think about it if i owned my own house and had a real freezer and cooked a lot.

I have friends who do it though.
Blimp aficionado

REBAL shaped like an EAGLE

nawmchomksy?